Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Salmon Chowder


 Last weekend was a weather washout.  Hurricane Joaquin thankfully veered east but a nasty Nor’easter bit the east coast in its arse and would not let go.  As a fledgling and part-time Jersey Shore resident, I was a wreck, and my mom made me promise I would not head east to survey the situation (really, what could I do?), so I relied on reports sent via Facebook, text and Instagram from my OCNJ neighbors and local news reporters. Veteran shore-house owners tell me that once I get a few storms under by belt, I won’t be as fretful…perhaps that’s true.

Here is a hauntingly beautiful photo from one my community correspondents.
A few days before the Nor’easter hit, we had dinner at C.’s house.  The Salmon Chowder she served was not only delectable, but it warmed our innards just the way a good soup should.  Summer food is tasty, fun and casual, but each year we look forward to making our favorite soups, stews, muffins and breads with the delicious fruits and vegetables that define fall…pumpkins, butternut squash, parsnips, pears, figs and cranberries, just to name a few.
  
I make a mean butternut squash soup and who doesn’t like butternut squash soup?

Anyway, this Salmon Chowder recipe is courtesy of allrecipes.com.  C. modified a bit…she baked a piece of fresh salmon instead of using canned, eliminated the cheddar cheese, added tomatoes, red peppers and fresh garlic from her garden.  Below are some of her other garden jewels.

As you can see, this recipe is hearty and very easy to make.  C. had it for lunch a few days after our dinner and said it aged beautifully and was still quite delicious.  Serve with a crispy, crusty bread — perfect for dipping! 

Salmon Chowder
Adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups diced potatoes
2 carrots, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
One nice piece of salmon, baked and shredded
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
One tomato, diced
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded (if desired)

Directions
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, celery and red pepper until onions and peppers are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, corn, and cheese. Cook until heated through.
I made a topless Pear and Fig Pie for dessert….it was so good but I could not find fresh so I had to use dried figs.

No comments: