Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

I love anything citrus so you would expect that I would adore Lemon Poppyseed Muffins.  

I had my first lemony muffin experience while working in an office building on Rittenhouse Square in the 90’s.  I would walk to the Commissary Market, that was located at 1710 Samson Street, and pray the pulpy confections were on the menu.  If I struck gold, I would stock up, sharing one or two with friends who did not work in the city, in particular, someone who I eventually married.  I don’t recall if I ever confessed that the yummies were purchased, not homemade, but I suspect my ruse was eventually exposed!   

Maybe that explains some things.

I lamented the day in 1991 when the Commissary Market closed because it was a reliable destination for all kinds of gourmet treats, not just baked goods.  You can read about the Commissary Market by clicking here.

I’ve not been able to find a Lemon Poppyseed Muffin quite as good as those baked by the Commissary, but I tried a recipe this weekend and, I must say, this version comes pretty damn close!  There muffins are a bit dense, like those I remember, and, courtesy of lemon zest and lemon yogurt, the lemon flavor is perfectly balanced…not overpowering at all.  I opted to not add the glaze and they were still quite moist and very delicious!  I gave some to my shore neighbors who were delighted!  

This recipe would make nice little mini-loafs too, and Target carries the sweetest little disposable loaf pans. Make a few loafs and tie with a festive bow for a wonderful, homemade holiday gift!

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Adapted from:  allrecipes.com

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ounce jar of poppy seeds (use the full jar!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup lemon yogurt (I used Chobani Lemon Blended)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

Glaze
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons Confectioners’ sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Lightly grease a muffin tin. Combine the flour, 3/4 cup white sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, yogurt, vegetable oil and lemon zest. Blend well and pour over the flour mixture. Mix until just combined; the batter is quite thick so don't be surprised! Spoon batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.

Combine the lemon juice with the Confectioners’ sugar. Stir into sugar dissolves.  Once the muffins are baked, drizzle them with or dip the tops in the sugar/juice mixture.

No comments: