Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grilled Figs With Pomegranate Molasses

I’m walking through Whole Foods the other day and I see a huge display of figs.  I stop dead in my tracks and notice the sign….three containers of figs for ten bucks. 

3 for $10!!

One container, two containers, three containers go directly in the cart.  

Even the checkout guy commented “Gee, you must like figs.”

I had a mission, but I didn’t tell him that.  I just politely smiled and said yes.

Tis the season for figs…they are one of Architect’s favorite things so I gave her a container and with two containers left, I had the perfect excuse to make these little gems I saw posted in the NYTimes:

Grilled Figs with Pomegranate Molasses. Yum.

I scanned the ingredients in the recipe and, to my surprise and delight, I had every one in my pantry, even the pomegranate molasses, courtesy of Singer who gave each dinner mate a bottle when she had to order FOUR from amazon.com to make a recipe.

I did have to buy the figs...as you just read.

Grilling brings out the natural sweetness of fruit.  The sugars concentrate to produce the most perfect caramelized, jammy glaze.  But, take care not to overcook these little dainties, because, if you do, they will get mushy.  I used my stovetop grill pan but you can take advantage of a hot barbecue grill by threading the figs on a skewer before grilling.

You can serve these warm, as a first course, complemented with the cool creaminess of goat cheese crumbles or as a chilled dessert served with ricotta, mascarpone cheese or yogurt.  A drizzle of honey would be nice too. 

Grilled Figs with Pomegranate Molasses
New York Times, July 7, 2014

Ingredients
12 large or 18 medium-size ripe but firm fresh figs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
Goat cheese, mascarpone, ricotta or Greek yogurt

Directions
1. Prepare a hot or medium-hot grill or heat a grill pan to medium-hot. Cut figs in half.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add figs to the bowl and gently toss until they are thoroughly coated.
3. Place on grill or grill pan flat side down. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, until grill marks appear. Turn over using tongs or a spatula and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes on the other side.
4. Remove to a platter or sheet pan and brush each fig on the cut side with pomegranate molasses.
5. Plate the grilled figs and serve with the goat cheese, mascarone, ricotta or Greek yogurt.

1 comment:

Clara said...

These look wonderful!