Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Turkey Meatloaf

So, I was glancing through some old cookbooks trying to decide what to make for dinner this past Wednesday.

It was my turn to cook.

I always fret.

I came upon this recipe in a cookbook I’ve had for a long time…almost as long as younger daughter is old. 
 
Let me tell you how I know that.  The author is Mary Englebreit and back in the late 80’s and early 90’s, she produced a collection of whimsical little nick-knacks and other quirky items, like paper dolls.

I have always loved paper dolls. I have Jackie Kennedy paper dolls somewhere...I should find them. 

Anyway, one of the paper doll characters looked amazingly like younger daughter when she was a wee toddler…you be the judge:

Paper Doll, Ann Estelle

 
Toddler, Younger Daughter

Total doppelganger, right?!  Doppleganger is German for "double walker."  I'll be in Germany this fall, but more on that later.

This uncanny resemblance is one of the reasons why I bought this cookbook and, many, many years later, paging through it, how I came upon the incredibly good Turkey Meatloaf recipe I made on Wednesday.

Packed with ground turkey, carrots, mushrooms, apples, shallots, parsley and sage, this savory version is a great alternative for those who do not eat beef.  The mushrooms give it the features of its beefy counterpart, but the turkey and vegetables make it a lighter, healthier, and oh-so-tasty option.   

As you may have heard, meatloaf is the quintessential comfort food….I am comforted by the fact that this recipe allows a tasty, non-bovine choice!  I thought about having the leftovers for lunch today, but then I am writing this post on a Friday morning in Lent.  Lunch tomorrow will be meatloaf and American cheese with mustard on whole grain white bread.  YUM.

I doubled the recipe because the Misters joined us.

We allowed them, however briefly, into the inter-sanctum of Dinner Night.

Turkey Meatloaf
By:  Mary Englebreit

Ingredients:
½ cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 large shallots, finely chopped
½ cup finely chopped carrot
10 ounces small white mushrooms, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 ¼ cups fresh bread crumbs
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
1. In a large nonstick skillet, bring the broth and oil to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and carrot and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until the shallots are softened. Add the mushrooms, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.

2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.

3. With your hands, thoroughly mix the turkey, bread crumbs, apple, parsley, and sage into the cooled vegetable mixture. Add the egg and mix well. Divide the mixture in half and on the baking sheet, shape each portion into an oval about 6 ½ inches long, 4 inches wide, and 1 ½ inches high. Transfer the loaves to the baking sheet.   For a Martha-meet-Mary moment, I brushed a glaze of brown sugar, mixed with ketchup and mustard on top before baking.

4. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until cooked through. Let the meatloaf rest, loosely covered, for 5 minutes.

5. Cut the meatloaf into ½ -inch slices, arrange on a platter, and serve.

No comments: